Andrew Jackson Downing Urn
Designed in honor of Andrew Jackson Downing by Calvert Vaux, Downing’s architectural partner, 1856 Carrara marble urn, American marble base and pedestal
In 1850, Andrew Jackson down transform mall into the nation's first landscaped public park using in formal, romantic arrangements of circular carriage drives and plantings of rare American trees.
Downing’s design endured until 1934 the father of American landscape architecture, also designed the White House and Capitol grounds.
The memorial earned stood on the mall near the Smithsonian national Museum of Natural History or 109 years (1856 – 1956). In 1972, it was restored and placed on the lawn east of the Smithsonian building (“Castle”) flag tower. In 1987, it was relocated to the Rose Garden at the Castle’s east door. The urn was moved to its location in the Enid A. Haupt Garden in 1989.
Andrew Jackson DowningSmithsonianUrn